A while ago I did a post of news about Microsoft. I’ve been collecting things that catch my eye ever since, and they do worry me about my career as a Microsoft developer. Like many developers in the Microsoft ecosystem, I need Microsoft to be strong and take the fight to the opposition. Unfortunately, right now, that ain’t happening. Here’s more news. For me, it’s grim reading.
- Apple’s iPad Mini makes up 60% of iOS sales – and next year iOS is predicted to outsell ALL versions of Windows
- Intel are recommending PC manufacturers make Android laptops – that’s right. Not Windows ones.
- Microsoft’s stock slides after dismal PC shipment reports
- Windows 8 blamed as PC sales slide 20%…
- …while Apple keeps on growing
- Goldman rates Microsoft’s stock as a sell
- Netflix drops Silverlight – although to be fair, Silverlight has been moribund for ages
- Microsoft now supports Linux on its cloud services – another Rubicon crossed
- Apple makes 5 times more profit than the 5 biggest Windows PC makers combined
- Even Microsoft’s chum Intel is suffering as profits drop 25 percent
- Google predicts there will be 1,000,000,000 Android phones out there by the end of the year
- Popular (with shareholders) CFO Peter Klein left after the Q3 results (why? what does he know that we don’t?)
- …while Google’s revenues are up a massive 31%
- Apple’s lead in tablet usage stakes is brutal
- Microsoft is bringing back the Start button – an unexpected (if welcome) u-turn
- After good numbers for Q3, they’re bracing themselves for bad news from Windows…
- …although those good numbers are a bit of smoke and mirrors
- Another one bites the dust: IBM’s trying to sell its x86 server business – and that’s a good move, according to IBM resellers
- Analysts say Windows on ARM is as good as dead – leaving Microsoft’s only hope as Intel
- Blackberry sales are resurgent…
- …Microsoft won’t be buying Nokia…
- …while Huawei could well be (and they’d probably ditch Windows Phone if they did)
- IDC says Windows 8 has put the world’s PC market to sleep
- There’s STILL no Instagram for Windows Phone
- Microsoft whistleblower suggests Windows losing to Linux
- Yes another one bites the dust as Samsung leaves the PC biz
I haven’t even listed half the articles I’ve collected since last time. I haven’t mentioned the Xbox One DRM fiasco either. Or how EU governments are banning US based cloud services over PRISM.
It’s getting worse.
Where did I put that book on iOS development? Time to fire up my copy of XCode…